creating themes

binkabir

14 Oct, 2011 07:34 AM

Hello, Im kabir idris
first i wish to thank the developers of this great Project. it really really cool,
i have been playing around with it for some days now and i just can't find how i would create my themes.
please can any help in "how to build themes in Fork-cms"?
thanks

1. 1 Posted by Tim Chase on 15 Oct, 2011 07:39 PM

I agree - a truly excellent project and admin interface, but why is there no support for theme development? Is it a big secret? Surely themes will be the backbone to pushing this project forward and challenging the likes of Wordpress or Drupal?

2. 2 Posted by binkabir on 15 Oct, 2011 11:23 PM

so i cannot even edit the default template??
    or download some cool templates???
    hmmmmmmmmmm...................................

3. 3 Posted by forkrulez on 28 Oct, 2011 12:35 AM

hellooo?i'm also interested too...i'm able to set up a project, wanted fork for it but i can't go nowhere without a template!

4. 4 Posted by Koen on 28 Oct, 2011 07:52 AM

Creating your own theme isn't all that hard. Looking at the folderstructure makes it a little easier to understand.

You'll want to start making your website via frontend/core. The core is where the 'base' of your website is located. It has templates, maybe some js-files and css. This core can, however, be overwritten with themes. Say you want to add some custom css to the core, you can do this with a theme. The big advantage here is that you can always fall back to the core if something goes wrong.

Themes are located in frontend/themes. Just make a folder with you're theme name, for example 'MyCustomTheme' and obey the further directorystructure (check 'triton' theme). You'll see that it's basically the same structure as the core. Every file in your theme will overwrite files with the same name in the core. For example "frontend/themes/MyCustomTheme/core/layout/css/screen.css" will overwrite "frontend/core/layout/css/screen.css". But you can also overwrite templates, if that fits your custom theme better.

Oh, and don't forget to select your theme in the backend (settings - theme - theme selection).

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by tijs on 01 Nov, 2011 10:25 AM

Today we released 3.0.0, which includes a theme installer. Also some example themes are available from http://www.fork-cms.com/extensions
    Maybe those themes can get you started.

6. tijs closed this discussion on 01 Nov, 2011 10:25 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac