Second kind of article in the Blog module

yered214

28 Jan, 2015 01:26 AM

First, I'll explain the project I'm working on, because maybe I'm not facing the problem properly:
I'm developing a theatre guide for my city. It has 3 main functions:

1. First a map that shows the location of each venue (13 total) in the city and it's status (whether it's showing something this week or not). I've already developed this part using Mapbox. This map will be connected to pages about each play, which is the next part.

2. The theatre guide and database which will display two listings: showing this week, and coming soon. Each play will have a page with data from the people involved (playwright, director, cast, scenographer...), synopsis, a slideshow of pictures and whether or not is being showed this week.

3. A blog with theatre news, reviews, and whatever thing theatre related comes up.

The thing I'm struggling with right now is the page for each play. First I thought I had to write my own module, then I read it's a pain in the ass specially for newbies like me. Also I noticed I'd be using all the functionality already present in the Blog module. So, I figured I have to do this:

- Create an add and edit action for the backend which will contain a form to input all the required data (title, playwright, director, cast...). This data, however, should not be shared by the news post, the current fields suffice.
- Create a new Detail action and template for the Frontend to display all the data I input in the backend, and write its CSS of course.
- Finally two widgets to display all posts (plays) under the "currently showing" and "coming soon" categories.

I'm already reading the Module Guide and reading all the code to reverse-enginieer each template and action, but it's a lot of information to digest and I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me ease my way. Thanks all in advance!

1. 1 Posted by yered214 on 28 Jan, 2015 03:48 AM

Ok, I've been trying to put into practice what I read in the guide. I managed to create both a .php and .tpl for the action "addPlay". There I entered a new field: Director, althought in the backedn it displays {$lblDirector|ucfirst} as title for the field and when I click publish it says "1054 Unknown column".

My guess is the blog_posts array doesn't contain a field for director, I found an install.sql in the folder and under CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `blog_posts` ( I added this line:

`director` text,

Still, no succes. What do I need to add director (and many other fields I need) to the blog post item and then write them into a new detailPlay.tpl ?

2. 2 Posted by JesseD. on 26 Mar, 2015 11:36 PM

Hi Yered,

This forum is inactive. Please use http://www.fork-cms.com/community/forum for future questions :-)

Sorry for the late answer, but I think nobody checks this forum anymore. It's only active for archive purposes. I think it will be best to use the Blog module only for the blogging of theatre news etc. It's not that hard to create your own module. Maybe you can use the Modulemaker module to auto-generate a basic module. Then you can add extra functionality. Feel free to ask questions on the Fork forum if you experience trouble.

More info: http://www.fork-cms.com/blog/detail/module-maker
    https://github.com/WouterSioen/moduleMaker

3. 3 Posted by yered214 on 29 Mar, 2015 07:02 PM

Thanks for replying. I ended up learning Rails to tackle my web app, but
    I'm sure other projects will bring me back to Fork CMS. Thanks for
    informing me about his change in the forum.
    That module maker will be of great help in the future.

Cheers

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac